Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Garden of Life

There are no flowers in the "garden", just some shrubs that form the natural wall that surrounds my flat and separates it from the public pathway.

Amazingly, we have not stepped out all too often, much less rendered any care to anything on it. Yet somehow, I noticed that weeds started to grow through the gaps in the concrete slabs, and I conveniently ignored it.

Winter came, they were quite resilient, event with the snow and frostbite temperatures.

Spring followed, and they continued growing, but I still wasn't too bothered - I figured that one day I'd go pull them all out at one go. I then promptly got caught up with the rest of life, and neglected to even look out of the window.

And then one day last week, i noticed that the weeds have now grown to a height that reached my waist, then i got worried that they would be too tough to pull out now.

Today, i decided to do a big clean-up. The weeds looked intimidating, and i protected my hands while yanking them out, yet i felt the slash across my palms as i pulled them out, roots et all (mostly, I suspect I didn't get some of them and they will regrow...). After that I spent a good 45mins trying to clear all the long-dead, dried orange leaves that have accumulated underneath the shrubs. Amongst the whole trash-bag full of dried leaves I also found at least 100 cigarrette butts, along with all sorts of trash like kitchen towels, plastic bags, containers, a Sony Bravia TV box (which I always knew was there because the wind kept playing with it and scared me with great noises in my sleep). No doubt the previous tenants had used the patio a lot more, and left a lot more behind. Who knows what went on in that "garden"?

I also found a host of creatures at the corner just outside my room, but that was just disgusting and I refuse to document what I saw.

I've never been a keen gardener. I only lasted an hour out there and didn't even manage to clear out all the leaves. I told myself that I'd come back out another day to finish the job. The big question is: when?

What an analogy of life -
who are the flowers in your garden of life?
who's the sun who even gives life to all creatures?
and what are the weeds you need to pull out today?

4 comments:

  1. did you change your template?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah - what i do with my time when i finally get a day to relax, haha! and i have this grand plan to blog more even though no one comes here anymore, because it's a good way to document my life. GRAND plan, i say :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha.. people still do... and if you keep this going.. people will..

    not fair!! i want to go legoland too.. act i plan to if i ever visit you in uk..

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha my life not that exciting that i have something to post so often la, but i will try!!! it's prob as close as i'll get to keeping a diary. looked back on copenhagen days and realised that i never did write down anything except for the few entries on my blog. quite sad...

    ReplyDelete