Sunday, August 01, 2010

One Dinner Too Many

Another blessed and inspiring day.

Did not start out too well because the jubilee line was down again and the D7 refused to come, which caused my hopes of arriving early to evaporate into thin air. Wanted to get to church early to practice as I have no touched the organ in 2 weeks, and figured that someone must have messed up the buttons again and i'd have to spend time figuring out how to re-configure.

So there I was practicing, and playing the prelude. 2 mins before the service started, James goes up to the hymnnumber board and takes it down entirely - turns out that the hymns I was given were all from last week! I didn't even get to see the new hymns before the service started and the worst thing was that I had no idea how 2 of them went. Now being on the piano is easy, you can hide behind the organ and kinda sightread. But on the monster of the organ, I had to play the introduction and then figure out the tune and how to play it organ-style: was a semi-disaster but quite a funny incident anyway!

The afternoon was great. Had dinner at P&N's. Still can't get over how they call lunch, dinner, but only on Sundays. I haven't been over in quite a few months, and it's always nice to be there. Was slightly less tiring today because Lucy was in a sleepy mood and wasn't trying to play all her toys at once (and get me to play along)... but she can walk now, and boy is she good at it! She's done really well and a longlong way, I hope she catches up with everyone her age soon. Quick background: Lucy was born pre-mature, with 2 others in a triplet. She was the sole survivor and has mild Cerebral Palsy, so her muscles are stiff and loose at some wrong places. She never did manage to crawl, only shuffle, but she has found strength in her legs to walk perfectly normally now, at 2 years and 3 months! She's really intelligent too, and I'm sure in no time all the babbling will turn into words and sentences...

Because we were not busy playing with Lucy today, and because P was on holiday, we managed to have some good conversations. It's so inspirational talking to them because they always have all their priorities right despite the simple life they lead. They're not much older than me, but about a million times more mature and capable in life itself, and their secret is an open one - they really love God and walk in His will. Guess I can relate to N in a lot of ways - her Christian upbringing, values, sense of humour and her intellect (ok she far surpasses me in that faculty with her superior PhD). I really respect how she's given up a promising career after working so hard at university, to stay home and bring up Lucy and Zachary in the most remarkable way. She understands their every expression and reaction, and interacts with them in such a loving yet professional way. She balances control without being over-possessive; care without over-fussing. Her creativity and energy level ensures that the children are always entertained even with the simplest toys, and her humility really makes everything she does very very understated. I am never failed to be amazed just sitting there and observing.


Anyway, back to the title. So I came home after the evening service, and had my 2nd dinner. There was some leftover food from yesterday, and a Waitrose "reduced" chocolate trifle that expired yesterday, making it my 2nd full meal cum dessert for the day. Seriously bloated now, which is a bad thing to be when you're meant to be sleeping. Another week of challenges lies ahead, and I can't wait for the next weekend already!!!

And, we're going to Legoland in 2 weeks, wheeeee!!!! :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment