Sunday, August 15, 2010

I miss Singing

Haven't used them vocal cords in ages, a huge contrast from a year and a half ago, when my entire weekends were actually filled with choir practices.

Occurred to me today that I haven't actually sung any song at all in a long long time. It's not really that I have no song to sing, but no occasion to. In church, I'm stuck at the organ every time I'm there and there's definitely no room for multitasking on that monster. At home, I don't really want she-who-must-not-be-named to hear me.

Miss the good old times back home when we would always burst into song. Someone would start humming a tune very softly, and very soon, another person would pick it up and start "stealing" the other person's song. When we got bored with work (which was quite often) we would often sit at the piano, play and sing something together. Sometimes we would go through an entire book and sing everything in it, just for fun.

Listened to the CD we cut back in 2006 on the way to church. Obviously it didnt sound very professional at all, but just hearing the blend (or lack thereof) of voices made me feel quite sad. I heard my own voice, and nearly couldnt recognise it anymore. TBH it could very well have been sharon's or karen's voice I can't tell, and I can't remember which parts I sang for each song.

I wish I could sing again, I wish I could play nice songs on the piano. I miss just sitting at the piano and trying to figure out how a song went. And this is the closest example I have: imperfect, for it was unpracticed, but therein lies the beauty of spontaneity. This was back in February when I was home for 2 weeks, and Sharon said she had bought a scorebook for duets and was waiting for me to come home and play with her (i think this is just the 1st half of the song before the complications kicked in...heh):

It is a privilege to sing, and a greater privilege when there are people to sing with. Why do people not want to sing in church, or at YF? I can't understand.

2 comments:

  1. you actually posted that lousy thing up!

    and yeah, i never understood why people never liked to sing, it's very very strange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who says it hurts his throat...:p

    You girls are talented lah - to be able to play a duet in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete