Monday, August 23, 2010

Gone crazy; went running.

This deserves a blog entry because it was a historic deed, probably never to be repeated again.... I ran today. As in, I went for a run. Not a jog, a run. Voluntarily. The last time I did this was actually back in year 1 in uni, the 1st fateful frisbee training I went for, and promptly passed out after thanks to my lousy 7-11 mashed potato dinner.

It has been gloomy and rainy all weekend, but as I was strolling home, the sky was especially clear and blue, so I thought I'd explore the Thames path (that runs along the river Thames, duh) in my t-shirt and shorts. The concierge was especially nice and actually opened the gate for me to get out, so it was a good start. The thing is, I had no idea how fast or slow I should go, because it has been way too long. There was a small sense of familiarity, but then, I felt a lot stiffer and heavier than I used to in eons past. I felt like I couldn't really move, but I just forced myself anyway, and I think I ran too fast. Don't get me wrong, I was tired after like 5 mins, but I just kept going. The stupid Thames path actually got cut off halfway so I ended up along the road. I thought I'd run for a long long time, but when i got back, it had only been 20 mins, SIGH! but I did cover about 2 miles (3.2km), so that's pretty decent I think?

Ai yah, not that it really matters, I never have to do the much dreaded 2.4km run again. I will forever remember the time we resumed hockey training after the long december holidays and had a surprise NAPFA test sprung on us. The 5 stations are easy-enough (ok except sit and reach), but I really really hate the 2.4km run. It was the worst run I had ever done, clocking something like 16mins, yikes! There's something about running round and round that I have no affinity for; don't know how I survived all those years in track!

Anyway, I thought I'd continue the feat by going to the gym after that and trying out some of the weights machine that I had last properly touched back in RGS track days.... but when I got home, i promptly changed into swimwear and decided to go to the spa instead, HAH.

So there, a record, and a first in London. Probably last too, but who's to say another stroke of insanity will not strike again?

3 comments:

  1. hahaha... wow... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ sebas haha aren't you proud of you lazy friend? I have proceeded to increase my appetite by about 100% the week after the run, hee hee so i'm prob worse off than before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that 100% increase would have happened probably anyway.. so.. technically.. you are better off! haha..

    ReplyDelete