Monday, May 22, 2006

Dipping dots and hail

18th may 2006 (thursday)

Ok, I never really finished the last post cos the connection died. Anyway, I took over debbie’s job today at dipping dots, which is what we call ‘mini melts’ in Singapore. The prices are ridiculously high, like $5 for medium and $7 for large, which is quite large, but still not worth $7. owellz. The ice cream has to be kept at such a low temperature, my palms turned blue cos I had to keep scooping ice-cream. The freezer temperature has to stay around -40 degress. Sheesh. And I still cant figure out why pple eat ice-cream in the cold.

I started work at 9.30am, at about 11 or 12, I cant remember what time, the kids I was serving went like ‘**** it’s hailing”. I thought she was just exaggerating cos that’s what Americans are good at. Granted, it was raining. Then I looked out after they left, and there were white dot-like thingies all over the floor, and I tot someone spilled vanilla dipping dots, then I looked out of my left window and saw the same thing, and then my right, and then I realized that she was right… heh. IT WAS HAILING. I got so excited I tell you, cos I’ve never seen hail in my life. I was kinda scared too, but well, I ran out anyway, wanted to know how it felt like. It was just rain, except that it was balls of ice falling from the sky and not rain. It didn’t really hurt, though some other pple say otherwise. And they weren’t that big anyway, just like 1cm in diameter max. I think smaller. And it lasted for like 2 mins and then it was normal rain again. But boy, what an experience. Today was a good day. Thanks Debs. But I think she didn’t like my original job at the pop-corn machine, so I’m gonna switch back tomm. Think I wont even hit 30 hours this week, sigh. Really really dunno what to do about this job situation.

I have no idea what time I’m working tomorrow, but I want to take the rides! Went with nick 2 mornings ago before work cos I only had to report at 11.30am. charles was supposed to come too but he couldn’t wake up, heh. Took the Millenium Force first (Siewjin, are u reading this!?!) I was so so scared but I got dragged all the way there. Didn’t turn out so bad afterall. It was quite fun, in fact, I liked it a lot, except for the first drop. So much about the world’s highest roller coaster.

Took the mantis next (I think). It’s a standing roller coaster. As in, you stand instead of sit. I got really giddy cos it kept going round and round, as in upside down, so I didn’t really like it much, couldn’t walk straight after that.

Went for the stupid Cadillac cars, which was really slow and retarded (heh those 2 words mean the same thing, don’t they!), but owellz, I resolved to take ALL the rides anyway… Visited debs at raptor dots and then went to take the raptor. That was really good, though the wait was quite long. this roller coaster leaves your legs dangling in the air. And there are so many twists and upside down twists I was giddy after that too. And I didn’t even scream much throughout the whole morning. I think that’s why, it was too early in the morning. Nick was being such a girl, (more than me anyway!) screaming even before the ride started. All the time. Haha. There was no more time, had to rush to the toilet to change into uniform and go to work. Sigh. I had a headache at work. Haha. Hopefully next time I have a morning free I can find someone else to go for the rides with me, cos it’s so stupid to go alone. Maybe I’ll go on sat cos I supposedly start at 1pm, but then again, the schedule is messed up and unreliable. Owellz.



I want to go take the ripcord! It’s like some bungee/ flying thing but it costs $5 for employees, not free. Ok, actually I have no idea what that is, but it sounds cool, but then again, I’m scared.

Feel so sad for Sharon and the RJ girls’ hockey team. This is so deja-vu, when we played VJ in the finals in J1. We all felt that we were the better team, but when it boils down to flicks, the better team never wins. Sigh. Owellz, at the end of the day it’s all about winning, it’s the whole experience and team I guess. So cheer up, and better whack NJ again to get bronze! (:

Lu, Hon, Vel, Xuan, Xin, Zhi, Dee, Nikhil and the guys, GO SUPPORT THEM please! Yingyi, Esther, Jane and I can be there in spirit. Heh.

Ok I’m ready to sleep, quite tired from work, I need a massage, but Deb refuses. Haha… havent’ been sleeping well. 2 nights ago, the phone was ringing non-stop from 4am to 7am. And everybody refused to pick it up. The first time I heard it ring I got up, but when I got up it stopped ringing, so I didn’t want to get up anymore, but I couldn’t sleep either. I figured that it wasn’t mine or debbie’s call anyway. If there was some emergency over at the guys’ place, they can always come over and knock after we don’t pick up for 1 hour. Pple at home didn’t know our numbers, so it cant be them. It cant be our supervisors, cos it was 4am in the morning! But I got so fed up I finally picked it up at about 5 plus, and this person spoke a whole load of Thai to me, before saying ‘may I speak to Kwan’. Sheesh. I said I wasn’t Thai, but she still spoke Thai to me, until I gave up trying to tell her that Kwan was asleep. So I went to knock on the Thai girls’ door, which took like a good 5 mins. And after Kwan got on the phone and hung up, the phone rang again, but I didn’t care anymore. Don’t those pple in Thailand have a sense of what time it is here. And it’s not as if their thai friends here are light sleepers. The next day I asked them if them heard the phone ring, they said no. Sheesh, even Debbie woke up! That same Debbie who doesn’t wake up with her phone alarm going off for 2 mins beside her ear!

And I tot I had enough of phone incidents.

But no, it HAD to happen again this morning. But this time it was at about 7.35am. I was just 5 mins into my first snooze! (I have to snooze 3 times every morning, haha) I picked up the phone after quite a long while, cos I tot it was a good excuse to get up anyway, and once again, this guy spoke a whole paragraph of thai to me, in between mentioning the word ‘Gift’, which is one my housemate’s name. I kept saying that she’s either sleeping or gone to work, but that guy didn’t seem to get it, and kept asking me to speak slower. Then he started asking where I was from. Basically he refused to put down and kept me on the phone for a good 5-10 mins. Once again, Debbie WOKE UP. She heard every word I said. Can u imagine how loud I must have been shouting. Heh. Finally managed to wake Kwan to get her to speak to Gift’s parents cos she had left for work. This is such a mess. And finally when Isaac called in the morning, I didn’t get to the phone in time. just when it was for me. SIGH. Murphy’s law.

If the phone rings again tonight I’m gonna disconnect it. Thanks Isaac for that idea, I wonder why I never thought of it. Heh.

Anyway I went with Isaac to sign up for the june 8th Niagara Falls trip cos we got left out of the first one next week. All the Singaporeans are going without us. But I guess that’s good in a sense. The Singaporeans are so super sticky. Asians actually. Singaporeans and Thai and Malaysians- Forever together in their own world… tsk tsk. Ok, I know there’s a fallacy in there somewhere… but we’re in America for a reason, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment